Epic Battle Fantasy
The Defender attacks with melee and presumably Bomb-elemental attacks. It is weak against Thunder and Bomb damage. At low health, Defender will start firing its cannon, inflicting considerable area-of-effect damage.
- Stabs a player with a blade.
- Slashes a player with two buzzsaws.
- Fires its machine guns, hitting both players multiple times for light damage.
- Fires a barrage of rockets, hitting both players a few times for moderate damage.
- Fires its main cannon, hitting both players for heavy damage.
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
In Epic Battle Fantasy 4, Defenders return as powerful foes in the Waste Disposal Plant. They are largely identical to their original appearance save for color - their bodies are grey instead of green.
Defenders can fire missiles, MG, bind bombs that may debuff evasion, and cannon shells, and also use powerful physical attacks. They can also cast Bullet Hell and Blast. Unlike in EBF, it doesn't gain a powerful attack at low health. As mechanical foes, Defenders are weak to thunder and bomb elements, but resistant to wind, poison and earth elements. They are immune to stun, freeze, burn, Syphon, poison and death status effects and resistant to many debuffs.
A Defender appears as the 33rd wave in Battle Mountain's Foe Rush.
Concept and design
Matt had released several conceptual designs on his DeviantArt portfolio before the release of the game.
- The overall concept and design of the Defender seems to be heavily based on the enemies from the Metal Slug franchise.
- Defender is named after the classic 1980 arcade video game Defender.
- Several of the Defender's parts and weapons are based on parts in the Mecha Dress Up Game.