Key Items are a class of items found in Epic Battle Fantasy 3 and 4. They are special items that are relevant to the plot or specifically for use in side-quests. They can be distinguished from normal items by being impossible to sell, discard, or use in any capacity beyond their intended purpose.
Epic Battle Fantasy 3 Key Items
There are 12 different Key Items in total. Crimson Orbs and the Old Key are used to access specific areas, while all remaining items are required to complete various quests for NPCs.
A long, grey battery. There are six of them in the game, three of them are necessary to complete a quest for Johnny, who will reward the player with the Razorback guitar and a Speaker, while the other three are used to complete a quest for Calum (also requires 2 Speakers) in exchange for Power Metal skill and a Missile.
The locations of the Batteries are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Konata
- Vegetable Forest, eighth area: Reward for completing a Quest for Heinkel
- Glacier Valley, second area: Inside a chest guarded by a Glacier Eater
- Glacier Valley, sixth area: Inside a chest beside the ice cavern; walk behind the snowmen to find it
- Glacier Valley, ninth area: Inside one of the chests accessible after defeating the Tundra Mammoth
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, eighth area: Reward for completing a Quest for Ginger
Cat Food is found in a chest inside the Old House, and thus can only be accessed once the player finds the Old Key.
A bright red orb. Found in the Kitten Kingdom Ruins, there are four orbs which must be placed on special pedestals in order to open the way to the Protector. They can also be used to open another gate at the Volcano Peak. This requires the use of the Warp Zone to accomplish.
A pink flower with a green stem and a yellow center. Ronald needs five Flowers to pay his respects at the local graveyard; giving him the Flowers he seeks will reward the player with seven Amethysts, seven Rubies, and one Star Powder.
The locations of the Flowers are as follows:
- The Town's Item/Equip Shops: Reward for completing a Quest for Rusty
- The Town's Graveyard: In one of the chests inside the Old House; requires Old Key
- Rock Lake, second area: In a chest on a small island, just past the bridge guarded by a Blue Clay
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, fourth area: In a chest behind the central switch-activated door
- Vegetable Forest's Hidden Area: In the first chest on the left; requires 10 Medals
An odd rune resembling the glyph summoned by the Syphon skill. There are three of them, and all are necessary to complete a quest for Eldoran, who needs them in order to complete a protection spell against Akron. He will reward the player with two Mythril Plates, two Beefs, and five Light Runes.
The locations of the Magic Circles are as follows:
- Volcano Peak, first area: Reward for completing a Quest for Targold
- Volcano Peak, fifth area: In a chest within the alcove only accessible from the sixth area, right in front of a Skull Ghost
- Volcano Peak, sixth area: In a chest near the lava river, guarded by a Fire Elemental; only accessible from the first area
A large rocket similar to the menu icon of Lance's Airstrike skill. There are three in the game, all required for Sally's Quest in the Volcano; giving her Missiles to complete her mining operation rewards players with a Diamond, Bacon, and a Star Powder.
The locations of the Missiles are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Calum
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, seventh area: Reward for completing a Quest for Yoko
- Glacier Valley's Hidden Area: Inside the third chest from the entrance; requires 30 Medals
A key used to open the Old House in the Town.
Found in Glacier Valley, on the same screen Tundra Mammoth is fought.
A large silver shield similar to the Defend icon in the menu. Five exist in the game, and all are required for Targold's Quest in Volcano Peak; giving him five Silver Shields rewards the player with 2 Titaniums, 5 Gold Plates, and a Magic Circle.
All five Silver Shields are found in the Kitten Kingdom Ruins, with their exact locations as follows:
- Area Four: In a chest behind the rightmost switch-activated door; guarded by an Ancient Monolith
- Area Four: In a chest behind the central switch-activated door
- Area Seven: Reward for completing a Quest for Simon
- Area Eight: Reward for completing a Quest for Ginger
- Area Eight: In a chest in the upper-left corner of the screen, guarded by an Ancient Eye
A large acoustic speaker, similar to the ones summoned by the Power Metal skill. There are two in the game, both required for Calum's Quest in the Town; giving him two Speakers and three Batteries rewards players with the Power Metal skill, Chocolate, and a Missile.
The Speakers' locations are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Johnny
- Rock Lake's Hidden Area: Inside the first chest to the right; requires 20 Medals
A bizarre dust similar to the Star Shower skill icon. There are three Star Powders in the game, all required to complete a Quest for Souru; in return for the Star Powder, he will give the player 3 Darkmatters, 3 Dark Runes, and 2 Cakes.
The locations of the Star Powder are as follows:
- The Town's Graveyard: In a chest inside the Old House; requires Old Key
- The Town's Graveyard: Reward for completing a Quest for Ronald
- Volcano Peak, third area: Reward for completing a Quest for Sally
A brown bag filled with money. Required to complete a quest for Blondie. It is found on the first screen of Rock Lake, hidden inside a tent.
Epic Battle Fantasy 4 Key Items
An item used to cut down small trees blocking the player's way, opening paths to new areas and treasures. Found in a chest behind the Mighty Oak. Some items may be obtained from cutting trees. Such items include:
- Soft Wood
- Gash Nut
- Lanky Root
- Ogle Berries
The Battery is used to power certain mechanisms in the world, mainly inside the Waste Disposal Plant. Three of them are also needed for a Quest, but the NPC will return them immediately after they are brought to him.
There are five Batteries in the game, and their locations are as follows:
- The entrance to the Waste Disposal Plant near the door.
- The south-eastern most screen in the plant. You'll need to go around to reach it.
- The third battery can be reached after you put two batteries in the slot.
- The air conditioning room where the path to it is blocked by the Fridge Turret, the spikes, and Drill Golem.
- The danger room.
Used to open doors around the Temple of Godcat. One of them is needed for a quest and four of them are needed for an other quest, both of them will return them immediately after they are brought to him.
It is obtained from an NPC in Goldenbrick Resort's Equip Shop.
A small candle that apparently never burns out. Crafted by Paul Waxman, it is obtained by solving a block puzzle in the Crystal Caverns. It is used to light torches around the world, brightening up dark areas and revealing new secrets.
An item used to break boulders blocking the player's way, opening paths to new areas and treasures. Found in a chest behind the Praetorian. Some items may be obtained from breaking boulders. Such items include:
- Iron Ore
Keys (Copper, Silver, Gold, Coral)
Various keys used to open corresponding blocks around the world. For more information, see: Keys.
A small ladder used to bridge gaps. Found in a chest on the docks of Goldenbrick Resort.
Strangely, the Stepladder remains over the gaps it bridges, yet the party never runs out of new ladders to use. This is likely a small conceit for the player's benefit, to make crossing easier by not forcing them to constantly reuse the Ladder on the same gaps.
Boots that allow the player to walk on paths made of lilypads. Found in a chest on a dock near the southwest edge of Lankyroot Jungle's river, guarded by a Big Muddy Bush.
A pair of red boots with gold buckles. Although they are in the player's inventory from the beginning of the game, they are completely useless, with no special effects. However, they are needed to begin a chain of Quests in Goldenbrick Resort that will end with the player receiving the Blue Scroll.
A scroll tied with red ribbon. There are nine of them lying around the Temple of Godcat, and all are needed for Quests; one NPC wants four Red Scrolls, while another wants five.
It is obtained as a quest reward by talking to Jan in Goldenbrick Resort with the Old Boots.
It is obtained as a quest reward by talking to Clegg in Goldenbrick Resort with The Shovel.
Boots that allow the player to walk on paths made of magma, though it causes the party to be slightly damaged with each step on the magma. It is found on a chest in the Lava Cave at Lankyroot Jungle guarded by the south Blood Bat.
Boots that allow the player to walk on clouds. It is obtained in an unguarded chest at the Sky Bridge.