Key Items are a class of items found in Epic Battle Fantasy 3 and 4. They are special items that are relevant to the plot or specifically for use in side-quests. They can be distinguished from normal items by being impossible to sell, discard, or use in any capacity beyond their intended purpose.
Epic Battle Fantasy 3 Key Items
There are 12 different Key Items in total. Crimson Orbs and the Old Key are used to access specific areas, while all remaining items are required to complete various quests for NPCs.
A long, grey battery. There are six of them in the game, three of them are necessary to complete a quest for Johnny, who will reward the player with the Razorback guitar and a Speaker, while the other three are used to complete a quest for Calum (also requires 2 Speakers) in exchange for Power Metal skill and a Missile.
The locations of the Batteries are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Konata
- Vegetable Forest, eighth area: Reward for completing a Quest for Heinkel
- Glacier Valley, second area: Inside a chest guarded by a Glacier Eater
- Glacier Valley, sixth area: Inside a chest beside the ice cavern; walk behind the snowmen to find it
- Glacier Valley, ninth area: Inside one of the chests accessible after defeating the Tundra Mammoth
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, eighth area: Reward for completing a Quest for Ginger
Cat Food is found in a chest inside the Old House, and thus can only be accessed once the player finds the Old Key.
A bright red orb. Found in the Kitten Kingdom Ruins, there are four orbs which must be placed on special pedestals in order to open the way to the Protector. They can also be used to open another gate at the Volcano Peak. This requires the use of the Warp Zone to accomplish.
A pink flower with a green stem and a yellow center. Ronald needs five Flowers to pay his respects at the local graveyard; giving him the Flowers he seeks will reward the player with seven Amethysts, seven Rubies, and one Star Powder.
The locations of the Flowers are as follows:
- The Town's Item/Equip Shops: Reward for completing a Quest for Rusty
- The Town's Graveyard: In one of the chests inside the Old House; requires Old Key
- Rock Lake, second area: In a chest on a small island, just past the bridge guarded by a Blue Clay
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, fourth area: In a chest behind the central switch-activated door
- Vegetable Forest's Hidden Area: In the first chest on the left; requires 10 Medals
An odd rune resembling the glyph summoned by the Syphon skill. There are three of them, and all are necessary to complete a quest for Eldoran, who needs them in order to complete a protection spell against Akron. He will reward the player with two Mythril Plates, two Beefs, and five Light Runes.
The locations of the Magic Circles are as follows:
- Volcano Peak, first area: Reward for completing a Quest for Targold
- Volcano Peak, fifth area: In a chest within the alcove only accessible from the sixth area, right in front of a Skull Ghost
- Volcano Peak, sixth area: In a chest near the lava river, guarded by a Fire Elemental; only accessible from the first area
A large rocket similar to the menu icon of Lance's Airstrike skill. There are three in the game, all required for Sally's Quest in the Volcano; giving her Missiles to complete her mining operation rewards players with a Diamond, Bacon, and a Star Powder.
The locations of the Missiles are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Calum
- Kitten Kingdom Ruins, seventh area: Reward for completing a Quest for Yoko
- Glacier Valley's Hidden Area: Inside the third chest from the entrance; requires 30 Medals
A key used to open the Old House in the Town.
Found in Glacier Valley, on the same screen Tundra Mammoth is fought.
A large silver shield similar to the Defend icon in the menu. Five exist in the game, and all are required for Targold's Quest in Volcano Peak; giving him five Silver Shields rewards the player with 2 Titaniums, 5 Gold Plates, and a Magic Circle.
All five Silver Shields are found in the Kitten Kingdom Ruins, with their exact locations as follows:
- Area Four: In a chest behind the rightmost switch-activated door; guarded by an Ancient Monolith
- Area Four: In a chest behind the central switch-activated door
- Area Seven: Reward for completing a Quest for Simon
- Area Eight: Reward for completing a Quest for Ginger
- Area Eight: In a chest in the upper-left corner of the screen, guarded by an Ancient Eye
A large acoustic speaker, similar to the ones summoned by the Power Metal skill. There are two in the game, both required for Calum's Quest in the Town; giving him two Speakers and three Batteries rewards players with the Power Metal skill, Chocolate, and a Missile.
The Speakers' locations are as follows:
- The Town's Warp Crystal: Reward for completing a Quest for Johnny
- Rock Lake's Hidden Area: Inside the first chest to the right; requires 20 Medals
A bizarre dust similar to the Star Shower skill icon. There are three Star Powders in the game, all required to complete a Quest for Souru; in return for the Star Powder, he will give the player 3 Darkmatters, 3 Dark Runes, and 2 Cakes.
The locations of the Star Powder are as follows:
- The Town's Graveyard: In a chest inside the Old House; requires Old Key
- The Town's Graveyard: Reward for completing a Quest for Ronald
- Volcano Peak, third area: Reward for completing a Quest for Sally
Epic Battle Fantasy 4 Key Items
An item used to cut down small trees blocking the player's way, opening paths to new areas and treasures. Found in a chest behind the boss of Ashwood Forest, Mighty Oak. Some items may be obtained from cutting trees; possible items and their drop rates are as follows:
(Up to all 3 items from one tree.)
There are five Batteries in the game, and their locations are as follows:
- The entrance to the Waste Disposal Plant near the door.
- The south-eastern most screen in the plant. You'll need to go around to reach it.
- The third battery can be reached after you put two batteries in the slot.
- The air conditioning room where the path to it is blocked by the spikes and a battle that appears as a Drill Golem.
- The danger room screen.
Used to open doors around the Temple of Godcat. One of them is needed to complete a quest for Tang and all four of them are needed to complete a quest for Yang, both NPCs will return them immediately. The locations of the orbs are as follows:
- One screen to the left from the main entrance (& Slime Cat) into the temple.
- One screen to the right from the main entrance into the temple.
- The Shrine Maidens screen.
- The spike puzzle screen.
A small candle that apparently never burns out. Crafted by Paul Waxman, it is obtained by solving a block puzzle in the Crystal Caverns, one screen below the path-blocking door. It is used to light torches around the world, brightening up dark areas and revealing new secrets.
An item used to break boulders blocking the player's way, opening paths to new areas and treasures. Is obtained from a chest behind the boss of Waste Disposal Plant, Praetorian. Some items may be obtained from cutting trees; possible items and their drop rates are as follows:
- Dirt Ball (26%)
- Iron Ore (22%)
- Geode (8%)
- Amethyst (8%)
- Emerald (2%)
- Ruby (2%)
- Topaz (2%)
- Diamond (1%)
(Up to 3 items from one boulder, in this order. Items attempted to drop after the cap is reached will be discarded.)
Keys (Copper, Silver, Gold, Coral)
Various keys used to open corresponding blocks around the world. For more information, see: Keys.
Boots that allow the player to walk on paths made of lilypads. Found in a chest on a dock near the southwest edge of Lankyroot Jungle's river, two screens below this area's Slime Cat, guarded by a battle that appears as a Big Muddy Bush.
A pair of brown boots with gold buckles. Although they are in the player's inventory from the beginning of the game, they have no actual effect. However, they are needed to begin a chain of quests (from Jan) in Goldenbrick Resort that will end with the player receiving the Blue Scroll.
Three can be stolen from drawers in various shops. All are required to complete a quest for Bill. Their locations are as follows:
- (before the Battle Mountain update) The drawer in Anna's house, one screen to the left from Greenwood Village's Slime Cat.
- (after the update) The drawer in Greenwood Village's item shop, one screen to the right from this area's Slime Cat.
- The drawer in Whitefall Town's food shop, two screens to the left and one screen up from this area's Slime Cat.
- The drawer in Goldenbrick Resort's item shop, one screen to the left from this area's Slime Cat.
A scroll tied with red ribbon. There are nine of them lying around the Temple of Godcat, and all are needed for quests: Baba wants four Red Scrolls, while Nick wants five. Their locations are as follows:
- The center of the cowboy/sheriff screen, behind a battle that appears as a Gem Idol.
- The top-left corner of the 4 orb pedestals screen, on a rock.
- The bottom-middle of the Ice Cave entrance screen, below a cat statue.
- The left side of the Ice Cave exit screen, on a rock, next to a battle that appears as a Spirit.
- The left part of the pillar-and-spikes screen, behind a vase.
- The left side of the Yin & Yang screen, two tiles above Yin.
- The top-left area of the first cloudy screen.
- The right side of the mini sky bridges screen, on a rock.
- The center of the big sky bridge screen.
A small ladder used to bridge gaps. Found in a chest on the right docks of Goldenbrick Resort.
Strangely, the Stepladder remains over the gaps it bridges, yet the party never runs out of new ladders to use. This is likely a small conceit for the player's benefit, to make crossing easier by not forcing them to constantly reuse the Ladder on the same gaps.
Boots that allow the player to walk on paths made of magma, though it causes the party to be slightly damaged with each step on the magma. Is obtained from a chest in the Lava Cave at Lankyroot Jungle, guarded by the south Blood Bat.
Damage taken is affected by Fire resistance. Players with over 100% resistance will be healed instead.